What is the Montessori Parents' Organization?
Each parent is automatically a member of the Parents' Organization and each has the right to attend meetings and participate in the decisions of the Parents' Organization. The Parents' Organization does not impose a membership fee. It funds its activities with donations from the parents and with admission fees for selected events. There is always a wide range of opportunities for parents to participate in MPO activities, and often, your children can participate alongside you.
The Parents' Organization has five main goals, which are accomplished through social events, fundraisers, educational presentations and volunteer participation at the school. Committee chairs and other interested members meet on the first Wednesday morning / evening of each month at the school campus to plan and organize these activities. The meetings are open to all parents.
Each of the five main goals of the organization is listed below, along with a list of typical annual activities:
- Support Teachers & Classes
- Classroom representatives support class parties, field trips and school-wide social events, including organizing parents to garden, serve as parent listeners, cook in class, pet-sit, donate treats for seasonal celebrations, and staff booths at the Fall Festival and Spring Picnic.
- Provides gifts to teachers for birthdays and teacher appreciation days, winter holidays and the end of the school year.
- Provide Educational Programs
- Hosts Montessori Education Programs, such as, the Montessori Journey and other Montessori Education programs, along with the teaching staff
- Sponsors speakers to discuss contemporary educational or parenting topics and how they are revelant to the curriculum at The Children's House at Serenbe
- Promote Social Interaction
- Sponsors the Back-to-School Party
- Organizes the Spring Picnic and other social events as planned
- Aid in Immediate Improvements to the School
- Donates to all classrooms to support seasonal activities &/or end of year celebrations.
- Donates to all classrooms from Christmas Tree Fundraiser. These funds are used to purchase classroom materials.
- Promotes participation in eScrip, BoxTops for Education, and Amazon shopping programs
- Coordinates the ongoing sale of school Spirit Wear
- Coordinates the Book Fair fundraiser
- Facilitate Communication
- Organizes Parent Education events
- Hosts two evening Parent Organization Meetings, with varied presentations
- Contributes to the monthly newsletter
- Provides assistance to families with personal emergencies through the Care Committee
- Sponsors presentations by the Head of School at morning Parents' Orgainization meetings
- Publicizes each of the above events with posters, flyers, and email announcements and Facebook updates
The MPO will also coordinate service projects around Chatt Hills throughout the year to meet the needs of our community and our planet.